A conversation with John Lennon




A photo posted by stevevhan (@stevevhan) on


In a 3 o'clock rainy afternoon, over a cup of cappuccino in a coffee shop i  

sat with John, we talked about things that i always been wanted to ask him-- music, his life, interests, opinion and view about life and faith.

I am an artist, however, i don't even consider myself one hell as good as the other because i know that i am still learning this talent, but i always loved music. I imagine music as complicated as it is technically, so I’m always in awe whenever i hear great music, even just a simple guitar strum, i die. I don’t know if John has created an impact in my musicality so far, but, I know that John made me question and wonder life itself, that John created an impact in our world and in generations, good or bad, it depends on the receiver.

So, i looked at John as i see his signature round glasses on his strong edgy face that reminds me of that old lady veteran pianist in our church (they have the same face feature) and asked "John, I was browsing the internet, i saw your video there, it is called imagine, i got fascinated by it that i searched more about you, your music and your band, the Beatles ". I continued talking and asking questions as i sip my cappuccino, “yesterday, I got curious with queen, and I learned that you also influenced Freddy mercury, how cool is that right? I mean, you influenced a band that also contributed in music and history worldwide”. Before John’s about to answer, I once again talked, without even considering that he is about to answer my questions  “… and oh, I learned about your generation, those old good days in the 60’s to 80’s, I always loved hearing music from those times, like everyone’s starting  their scenes, creating history, those great musicians from your time influenced a lot of artists and genres today, I mean, whoa? You guys from then are really cool!!!”

These questions I have for John have been running in my mind for some time now. Sitting here with him is a dream come true and these might be the questions that the whole world is dying to ask him.

“You know what John, your songs are very expressive, you are not afraid to talk about love, people, your family and your ideas, I can see that you really love Yoko Ono and your sons”. 

Then silenced killed me, it went straight on our table. 

There’s this one thing I am dying to ask him all these times, this is about his song imagine. I was thinking if I might offend him or what but I literally don’t know anything now, I just thought, it’s now or never, so I got my courage and asked him “John, your song imagine, the lyrics is about people being united, the message is very powerful, but, John, do you believe in God?”

John looked at me right in my eye. He said “Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I don’t know what will go first, rock ‘n’ roll or Christianity. We’re more popular than Jesus now. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It’s them twisting it that ruins it for me”. He stopped and added “ ..I believe in God, but not as one thing, not as an old man in the sky. I believe that what people call God is something in all of us. I believe that what Jesus and Mohammed and Buddha and all the rest said was right. It's just that the translations have gone wrong.”

Again, silence went on our table.


32 comentários

  1. wow ang lalim O_O
    Siguro pagnameet ko din si John Lenon, I will ask the same thing.. para maliwanagan akong mabuti sa song nya...
    magkakaiba man ang religion natin sa bansa...iisa pa din naman yung ating paniniwala at yun ay ang may God na gumagabay satin sa taas... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but i still believe ish that he doesn' t believe to Christ as we are. Sayang. :(

      Delete
  2. What a dream! So did you reply to him in your dream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a fictional convo nancy, but if in case, of course or maybe not. Sometimes things are better left unsaid.

      Delete
  3. I love his O my love, Love...and Jealous Guy, all from his Imagine album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His music is great really. Such an influence to all artists/musicians. :)

      Delete
  4. this is a beautiful piece of writing ... i love the evocative, thoughtful, measured style ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Nice dream. I hope you will enjoy to talk with John. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I never really thought to be an interesting read. You got your thoughts and writings all in one beautiful piece. I've always been a music junkie, but not to the point that having a guitar in my hand would be my everyday. I've always been silent when it comes to love, relationships, and closeness with God. "We're all popular than Jesus now" I guess that line sums up everything. Just a beautiful piece to remind all the individuals to put translations on point. John's indeed so legendary! :)

    Lou | wander-sul.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was indeed a thought of you as well. The best thing about John is that he makes us wonder life itself when we hear his music. :)

      Delete
  7. The Beatles strongly influenced the world in my youth, but it's sad that such a talented man never personally knew the Jesus I know. Just IMAGINE the music that could have birthed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from you Mary, i know that they were really really famous at that time. Sadly, he never knew our Saviour. I agree on you, IMAGINE what he could do even more right>?

      Delete
  8. Kinda weird but true. somethings are left unsaid and somethings leads to answers... Maybe just a little self realization :D Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, somethings are really better left unsaid though!

      Delete
  9. It was how you presented the writing that was very interesting. A bit of history, a bit of personal belief, and a bit of yourself, good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! may every individual also realize and think life itself through this one.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic post!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know what to say too. Deep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, it would be an honor to even talk with John Lennon, if the chance was presented a long time ago. Regardless, I kind of agree with John on everyone kind of twisted the message at the same time, I can't really believe in a big man in the sky. I don't know. My beliefs are all over the place, really. Sure, the bible has messages underneath it that tell of everyday life and whatnot, but the point is, that God should really be about love, love even if he thinks what we do or what we are are sins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just said it there mich, He is really about love, even though we fail so many times, he never failed to love us. Problem is, people failed to tell and show that God is love. Even if we choose to sin over and over.

      Delete
  13. Much more to ask, but this one is dope enough to cap off the night. Nice read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you use an ouija board? Or some medium conjured his soul? Hehehe! I loke beatles but I do jot subscribe to the Lennonism school of thought. But it is really cool to read this conversation between the two of you. Me? I'd like to have coffee with Empress Catherine of Russia or have tea with Queen Marie Antoinette... lakas ng trip eh. Hehehe! Thanks for visiting my blog. Looking forward to read more entries here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are cool suggestions of you! i love those people from the "kingdom" days. Russia is also obe of my fave!

      Delete
  15. I myself would probably be star struck with the persona of John Lennon. But as you have written here beautifully, he together with the band are more than the music. They sparked and started ideas that will last beyond their lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indee reigun, that's how they really created an impact in our world! what an influence right?

      Delete

Thanks for the comment bud! I want conversations going, so i'll reply to you soon. KEEP YOURSELF UPDATED, Subscribe now with my email rss and like this site on facebook and blog connect.

PS. Please also always include your contact info for replies!.